Page facebook de l'UPHF Twitter de l'UPHF YouTube de l'UPHF Instagram de l'UVHC PRO'fil : le réseau professionnel de l'Université


Student residences

In France, student residences are managed by an independent body, the CROUS (Centres Régionaux des Oeuvres Universitaires et Scolaires).

The International Relations Office of the Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France has signed an agreement with the CROUS. The IRO can book rooms in 3 different residences for the international exchange student coming from a partner institution which concluded an agreement with UPHF, if asked. The demand must be made through the online application form sent by the International Relations Office (international_in [at]

Application deadlines for student residences: 

- Before the 31st May for students arriving for the Autumn semester.
- Before the 15th November for those arriving for the Spring semester.

More information about the housing

When taking care of your accommodation reservation, certain rules must be followed, in addition to and independently of the CROUS rules ("règlement intérieur") and will be sent to you by the International Relations Office when you apply.

As soon as the International Relations Office sends you your room allocation, the reservation is definitive.

At your arrival

All international students admitted in a student residence must complete a student residence admission form upon arrival.

Required documents:

  • A copy of the student's passport or National Identity card
  • A copy of the student's home University student card
  • 2 passport-size photos of the student.
  • A copy of the rules and regulations of the residence signed by the student
  • A proof of home insurance

For those who have a European guarantor :

  • A copy of the third-party guarantee agreement signed by the guarantor (who keeps a copy). This form will be sent to you by the International Relations Office
  • A copy of the guarantor's passport or National Identity card
  • A copy of a proof of address of the guarantor (electricity bill, landline telephone bill, gas bill etc.)
  • A copy of the most recent payslip of the guarantor
  • A copy of the rules and regulations signed by the student and the guarantor (1 copy for the student and 1 for the guarantor). This form will be provided by the International Relations Office 

For those who do not have a European guarantor :

  • A certificate of guarantor VISALE to be obtained on the dedicated website

Consult the VISALE guide for more information on the eligibility requirements for this program.

Visale public rental assistance scheme

Students who do not have guarantors can go through Action Logement to find rental accommodation more easily. The State thus replaces the parents as guarantor for the student, as well as situations of unpaid rents to be settled. The eligibility conditions are as follows and are not cumulative, only one is enough :

  • Age: between 18 and 30 years old
  • Professional status: hired for less than 6 months (excluding confirmed permanent contracts)
  • Professional status: in professional mobility
  • Professional status: with a promise of employment of less than 3 months
  • Rental contract:  be eligible for the mobility lease.

Private accommodation

If you do not wish to benefit from the accommodation service in university residence offered by the International Relations Office to international exchange students.

Consult the University's page dedicated to all UPHF students


FAQ - Residence

What do T1 and T1Bis mean? 

Apartments are classified according to the number of rooms (not including the kitchen and bathroom). For example: a type 1 apartment (T1 or studio) is made up of a main room, a bathroom, a toilet and a kitchen or kitchenette (electric hob, fridge and storage space). The main room in a T1Bis is bigger than in a T1. 

How to pay the rent?

The rent is to be paid by bank transfer or at the reception desk of the student’s residence before the 10th of each month, either by check or card.

Whatever your date of departure, please be aware that the whole month’s rent is due. For example, whether you leave your apartment on the 3rd June or the 29th June, you will have to pay the rent for the whole month.
A written notice must be sent to the International Relations Office (international_in [at] for them to be informed of your departure date, at least one month before you intend to leave

Is there internet access at the Residence?

All the residences are equipped with WI-FI.


FAQ Applicable to any accommodation

What is a "bail" (lease)?

The lease is a document that describes the dwelling, the duration of the contract and the amount of rent. It is to be signed upon your arrival between the residence (owner) and you (tenant). 

What is a "préavis" (notice period)?

If the student wishes to leave the accommodation, a notice of departure must then be given 1 month before leaving the accommodation by sending a letter or an email to inform the residence. 

What is an "acte de caution solidaire" (third-party guarantee agreement)?

The student residences require a third-party guarantee agreement to ensure the payment of the rent. This document must be completed and signed by the guarantor. They also need a copy of the student’s guarantor’s identity card, a proof of address and a copy of the guarantor’s most recent pay slip. The guarantor must be part of the European Union and has to certify that he/she will pay rent on time if the student does not.

What is a "caution locative" (deposit)?

A deposit (not to be confused with the third-party guarantee) is required in order to obtain the keys to the room or studio. This amount is returned one month after the student's departure if no damage has occurred in the apartment and you have no outstanding rent.

What is an "état des lieux" (inventory of fixtures)?

In order to avoid any disagreement, after having visited the accommodation with the owner or a representative of the university residence, the student must fill out an entry report (or inventory) on arrival and an exit report (or inventory) on departure. If you damage the accommodation, the owner or the residence will pay for the repairs with the deposit.

Do I need to take out housing insurance?

When you apply for housing, you must provide a certificate of home insurance.
You can take out your insurance policy with an insurer or a bank. This insurance allows you to be protected and compensated in case of damage in the accommodation (civil liability and theft of material in the room).

How can I apply for financial aid for my accommodation?

To apply for individualized housing assistance (Aide Personnalisée au Logement, in French) please visit the CAF website and follow the steps listed right below: 

  1. "Mes services en ligne"
  2. "Faire une demande de prestation"
  3. Indicate whether you already benefit from allowance or not 
  4. Beneficiary: Provide yourself with your login ID , connect and apply
  5. Non beneficiary: Click on "le logement" and "faire la demande" and apply

Required documents: 

  • A proof of address (given upon arrival)
  • A copy of your passport or your National Identity card
  • A document proving you study at the Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France
  • A copy of your European Health Insurance Card or your private health insurance
  • A signed statement guaranteeing that you have enough money for your stay (The money you have must be equal or superior to the sum of the RMI :475€/month)
  • Banking information (only if you have a bank account in France) 
  • Non-European students must provide the CAF with a copy of their visa

Useful links :