Etudier à l’étranger

Studying abroad

As part of your academic career at UPHF, you have the opportunity to complete a period of international mobility.

Several choices

There are several choices available to you when studying abroad :

  • Go to Europe with Erasmus+
  • Go to Quebec with BCI
  • Go to a partner university with which an exchange agreement has been signed
  • Leaving to pursue dual degree studies

The double degree

The double degree is a particularly interesting exchange modality of a minimum of one year for several reasons:

  • You obtain two degrees, one from UPHF and one from the partner university.
  • Potentially, you will be able to work more easily in the partner country.

To go and study in an international double degree partnership, the specific conditions of the agreement concluded are applied and vary from one partnership to another.

In all cases, during your stay abroad, you must be enrolled in the national degree at the Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France that provides for this possibility.

Find below the key steps to build your mobility project.

To do this, you must:

  • Select your destination

Filter possible destinations by country, component, or program type here.

NB: Under the Erasmus+ program: select "Erasmus-ECTS" to see UPHF's partner universities for an exchange and "Erasmus-DD" for double degrees.

  • Discuss with your component referents

Discuss your study project with your academic supervisor and with your IR referent in the component (contact the IR Service or the IR administrative relay) and check the compatibility of courses between your current curriculum and the courses you will be able to take at the partner.

  • Check your language level
  • .

Generally, the minimum language level required by partner universities is B1, or even B2 for some universities.

The language of study does not have to be an obstacle for you to decide to leave, as we offer special support so that you can improve your language level before your mobility:

1. The Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France has a language platform and certifications, where you can practice in the language of your choice before your departure.

2. As part of an Erasmus+ program study mobility, you also benefit from online language support via the ONLINE LINGUISTIC SUPPORT " OLS" platform.

In effect, you will receive an online test to assess your proficiency in the language of study and based on the results, you will get online language courses to prepare you for your mobility.

The OLS also aims to measure your progress in the foreign language through your mobility, so you will be evaluated before and after your mobility.

Contact your institute's IR administrative relay or International Relations Department (IRD) so that they can provide you with the link to the form for submitting a stay request:


- Institut National des Sciences Appliquées Hauts-de-France (INSA HdF): @email

- University Institute of Technology (IUT): @email

- Institute of Societies and Humanities (ISH) : according to your Academic Unit

  • UA Law Public Administration: @email
  • UA IAE: @email
  • UA Lettres Langues Arts:  @email
  • UA Economics, History, Geo and Societies: @email

Please be sure to fill out all the information requested in the online form.

You will need to apply by the first week of February (odd semester and full year) and early September (even semester).

Your application will be reviewed by your institute according to specific criteria established by your institute.
It will then communicate your wishes for a definitively validated stay to the International Relations Pole.

  • The IRP communicates the procedure to you:

The International Relations Pole contacts you by email and tells you the procedure for putting together your online application, including the link to the form to be completed and the application deadlines at UPHF and at the partner.

On receiving the link to the form, you will need to complete it and upload the following documents:

  1. A certificate of enrollment from the Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France for currently enrolled students or the letter of admission to the UPHF course during which the mobility will take place (year n+1)
  2. Transcripts of grades for the last two years
  3. A RIB
  4. Last tax notice

For students wishing to carry out a mobility within the framework of the BCI program, you are also asked for the following documents:

  1. Application form to be filled out on the website  Heading: International Students  - Step 4 "I fill out the application form" (access code provided by PRI)
  2. Letter of motivation
  3. Letter of recommendation issued by your current training manager
  4. Copy of your birth certificate

Your complete mobility file must be validated online by the following dates*:

  • for a first semester departure (odd semester or full year): opening the form between February 19 and March 31
  • for a departure in the second semester (even semester): opening the form between September 15 and October 31

*In case of an earlier appointment date, the IRP will be responsible for communicating the application deadlines for the students concerned.

  • IRP nominates you to the partner university

As part of a mobility of the  Erasmus+ program:

a. The procedure is completely digitalized, the partner accepts your nomination
. b. You will receive instructions from the partner to complete the application procedure at their institution
. c. You will need to complete your digitized study contract (see 4.)

In the framework of a mobility via an exchange agreement, the BCI program, or a double degree:
a. The nomination is done by email, and the partner accepts your nomination
. b. You will receive instructions from the partner to complete the application process by email
. c. You can then complete the educational contract in word format (see 4.)

After your appointment is accepted, you will be asked to complete your pedagogical contract. You must make your choice of courses by consulting the host institution's course catalog and have them validated by the teacher coordinating international relations within your component at the Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France. With your teacher, you must agree on the study program or project to be carried out in articulation with your training at the Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France and according to the duration of the planned stay.

To know, in Europe:

  • one term = 15 ECTS credits
  • one semester = 30 ECTS credits
  • one academic year = 60 ECTS credits

PLEASE NOTE, ECTS credits are not used in countries outside Europe. 

  • The pedagogical contract for Erasmus+ study mobility

You are leaving as part of the Erasmus+ program. The Erasmus+ program is gradually becoming more digital thanks to the EWP (Erasmus Without Paper) network.

As a result, your pedagogical contract is completely digitalized. Thus, your signature, that of the Director of your component and that of the partner are digitalized.

  • The pedagogical contract for non-Erasmus+ study mobility

You are leaving under an exchange agreement, the BCI program, a double degree, you must complete the pedagogical contract in word format. It will have to be sent to the administrative relay/IR service of your component who will transmit it for the Director's signature. You will forward this study contract to the partner university.


  •  Modifying your educational contract during your mobility

In case of changes during your mobility, an amendment to the initial study contract must be completed and approved by all signatories of the initial contract (in digitalized version for participants in the Erasmus+ program  and study version in the framework of the BCI, a Double Degree and a Bilateral Agreement outside Europe).  

You must complete any procedures and forms sent by the partner university by the deadline.
The partner will send you a letter or email of acceptance if your application is complete and accepted.
You will need to forward this acceptance to the International Relations Pole as soon as possible.

Please note: it is still important not to incur expenses too early (transportation ticket reservation, housing deposit payment, insurance subscription....) and to wait for the financial aid allocation commission (see below "During your mobility.")

The Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France has financial aid for international mobility, carried out as part of studies. This aid comes from Europe, the French State, the Hauts-de-France Region and the institution's own funds. Each of these grants has its own criteria, find all information.

Applying for financial aid is done via the online form entry (see 3.). You have no additional steps to take  your mobility file is transmitted to the university commission which allows for the equitable distribution and allocation of funding for possible award of financial aid.

Financial aid is not intended to cover all expenses. It is therefore necessary to check the cost of living on site at the universities and to inquire about the cost of travel and visa, if applicable.

For any international mobility, it is essential that you stay in contact with the International Relations Pole:

At the beginning of your mobility, a certificate of arrival is to be filled out and sent according to the model that will be provided to you by email.

At the end of your mobility, in order to close your administrative file and to receive the possible balance of your financial aid, you must send your transcript with the real date of your mobility and in case of Erasmus+ study mobility; make your report and your OLS test n°2.

On your return you become a student ambassador of mobility. In order to value your mobility and to encourage other students to take advantage of an experience as enriching as yours we need you ! So don't hesitate: 

  • Send a testimonial to the International Relations Hub
  • .
  • Become a student tutor 
  • Become a member of the ESN Valenciennes association

Advice and procedures for study abroad

An international mobility is prepared well in advance. It must be thought out and budgeted for. Indeed, it is important to take into account that insurance, housing search or even visa application procedures are sometimes necessary and must be anticipated.

The International Relations Pole can advise you on these steps, however they remain personal steps that are the responsibility of the student.

  • ID and Visa

For a stay in the member countries of the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland: the identity card, or valid passport, is sufficient. (Only for students who are EU nationals, non-EU nationals must obtain a visa.)

For other destinations, passport and a student visa are required. To obtain the visa, contact the embassy and/or the consulate of the country in France.

For a study stay in Quebec of six months or less, the student is not required to first obtain a study visa and the Quebec acceptance certificate. For more information, visit the websites of the Quebec immigration authorities and Canada.

To check the entry and residence requirements for each country: consult the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs website.

  • Register with the authorities
  • .

- For a stay of less than 6 months abroad: French nationals can register on Ariane to register a trip lasting less than 6 months. Thus, during your trip, and if the country's situation requires it, you will receive information and safety instructions by email or SMS and the contact person designated on your account can also be notified if necessary.

-For long stays

It is recommended that you register with the register of French citizens established outside of France. The Consulate General of France is responsible, among other things, for the defense and protection of French citizens abroad. It also offers services of the City Hall or the Prefecture during your stay abroad. It is strongly recommended that you register in the register of French citizens established outside of France and apply for a consular card. This step is free, voluntary and not compulsory and can be useful for example to obtain a passport renewal or in the case of the implementation of a security plan in the country. In addition, only this registration allows the consular post to have knowledge of your presence in the territory.

For any registration, you must bring your ID, proof of your French nationality and a certificate of residence in the consular district. For more information about the registration procedure, consult the website of the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which you will be staying. Maison des Français de l'Étranger

For students of a nationality other than French, it is recommended to contact the Consulate of the country of origin in the host country.

  • In Europe

When staying temporarily in a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA)* or in Switzerland or the United Kingdom, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) certifies your health insurance rights. It allows you to benefit from the coverage of necessary medical care. Contact your insurance organization to obtain it before your mobility.


*The countries that make up the European Economic Area are the member states of the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

  • In Quebec

Under the terms of the "Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Quebec and the Government of the French Republic Concerning the Social Protection of Students and Cooperation Participants," French nationals staying in Quebec for studies or an internship are admitted to the health and hospitalization insurance benefits in effect in Quebec; they benefit under the same conditions as Quebec students. 

To obtain the Quebec health insurance card for your participation in an inter-university exchange, you must apply to the Régie de l'assurance-maladie du Québec (RAMQ) using the registration form provided for this purpose, attaching a copy:

- form SE 401-Q-104 for an internship as part of your university curriculum
. - the identity page of your passport
. - the authorization to stay issued by the Canadian immigration authorities (internship mobility)


  • The Rest of the World

For mobility in other countries:

  • For a stay of less than 6 months and/or for students under 20 years old, you can obtain social protection through the French social security system exclusively for unexpected health care, which you will have to advance before requesting reimbursement, which will be flat-rate and limited to French rates.
  • For the rest, you are no longer covered by French health insurance.

Thus, it is imperative that you find out about the possibilities and/or the obligation to insure yourself with the local social security system and the extent of social protection.

Then, if necessary, you should voluntarily insure yourself for the duration of your stay abroad with a private insurance company that provides medical insurance.

If not, contact your mutual insurance company or any insurance organization to provide appropriate health coverage. In the event of medical care during your stay, you will have to pay the costs on the spot. Remember then to keep all bills and proof of payment, and present them to your organization, which will reimburse you according to the terms of your contract.

  • NB: For all destinations:

Health insurance coverage does not necessarily cover repatriation - liability insurance. 

Find out about social protection abroad on the Health Insurance and that of the Centre for European and International Social Security Liaison

For any internship stay abroad :

You must check the validity of your civil liability insurance for the host country

NB: Personal liability insurance covers the financial consequences of civil liability incumbent on the insured in the context of his or her private life due to bodily injury, property damage and intangible damage caused to third parties. This guarantee is generally included in multi-risk home insurance contracts.

In addition, private liability does not necessarily cover you during your internship. It is advisable to check with your host organization to see if professional liability is covered.

You should also check your coverage in terms of repatriation insurance

NB: Repatriation insurance guarantees your return to France in the event of an extreme emergency such as an accident or illness during your stay abroad. This guarantee may be included in your credit card contract (if paying for the trip with said card) or offered by travel agencies and airlines.

Beware, be careful about the conditions of repatriation insurance, whose compensation for hospital and care expenses is limited. If you are traveling to a country where the cost of care is high, in order to receive full reimbursement of your health expenses, it may be more advantageous to take out more comprehensive travel insurance.

UPHF student on Erasmus+ mobility:
The university automatically offers the "insurance pack" via our insurance provider to all students on an Erasmus+* mobility including:

  • liability insurance
  • .
  • repatriation assistance
  • loss or theft of personal property (identity papers, laptop or cell phone, luggage...)

*Erasmus+ program countries are the European Union member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Northern Macedonia, Turkey and Serbia.

The Université Polytechnique Hauts-de-France will not find you accommodation during your international mobility.

Check out the housing offers from outside organizations, here is a selection:

Look for travel advice by destination on the website France Diplomatie

Check medical recommendations (risk areas, vaccinations) on the Institut Pasteur.